8 Nov 2013

An adventure using mixed media

In the past, I've made some panels stuck with 3d embellishments and collage this was my of mixed media. I was looking at some artwork and found something to rival the great Tim Holtz.
She goes by the name of finnabair- Anna Dabrowska and create such wonderful pieces of work. Subtle use of colour and careful playful elements. I wish I could something like that.
Here is a link to her flickr photostream it is breath taking.
Spent a long time analysing her work and figuring out the process only through watching youtube did I finally understand the process.

  • First you build the base stick on pieces of paper
  • Arrange and add embellishments
  • Cover in white gesso
  • apply modelling paste through stencil
  • colour with ink sprays
Here is my attempt in finnabair mixed media piece, the base is often canvas since I don't have any instead used one of my past 'awful' collages and get it update
I used heated plastic because gives contorted almost organic forms. Gesso can be found any where not usually used by itself in the past I used this as a primer for painting.
Looking at other people's work I don't see much dry brushing with acrylic except for finnabair. I always painted with acrylic much easier to work with than watercolours.
To stick embellishments best to use gel medium popular one is Claudine hellmuth studio multi-medium matte same one Tim uses. I just use gloss as still an acrylic medium and same thing.
I only have a few colour sprays: Cosmic Shimmer Vintage mist-patina and 2 Color wash Adirondack dye sprays. With the Distress stains Tim shows how to remove the top and decant some of dye into mini mister.
The Stencil is grid from finnabair's sunset range.
Not bad for first attempt I need to work more on arrangement of elements and save room for stencils. Paper arty have wonderful Grunge paste which does the same thing. Wished someone showed me this style sooner well I never really attended craft classes and video streaming needs fast connection.
Here is the video which inspire me enjoy
Sadly ever since August I found it difficult to get back into crafting and don't enter the challenges any more. Well I do make ATCs and mailart. Thinking of using beeswax and UTEE my melting pot has been sitting in cupboard unused as normally use it for candle making. I have a project pans specifically for beeswax. If in doubt draw.

0 comments:

Post a Comment